If you’ve been paying attention the world of running, you will have probably noticed that CBD has become a hot-button topic.
CBD ads are splashed across the pages of runners magazines and big names in running are being endorsed by CBD companies. Runners across the world are taking CBD (in one form or another) to increase their performance.
So, why is it that CBD has become associated with running and more importantly running culture?
Well, let’s break down how CBD affects runners, and why CBD may actually be the best supplement for runners.
If you’re a runner, you probably are fully aware of the “runner’s high”. It’s a powerful sensation that you can get when running long distances that helps put you in the zone and clears your mind. Many scientists think that it served an important purpose in early humans. The pain-killing and calming sensation of the “runners high” could help us outrun predatory animals.
For a long time, scientists thought that the “runner’s high” was due to endorphins being released, but, that explanation has some flaws (specifically due to endorphins being large blood lipids and not able to swiftly bypass the blood-brain barrier). Scientists started to search for the exact cause of the “runner’s high.”
Scientists discovered that the “runner’s high” wasn’t solely due to endorphins, in fact, it is mostly attributed to the cannabinoid receptors in the brain. Specifically, a chemical called anandamide (which exercise increases the levels of) is responsible for the “runner’s high.”
- 2015 study shows how the endocannabinoid system causes runner’s high in humans.
- 2004 study showing the endocannabinoid system’s effect on runner’s high in exercising humans.
Anandamide is directly connected to the endocannabinoid system in the brain so CBD can prolong and pre-trigger some of the effects of the runner’s high.
CBD oil helps anandamide levels increase and also helps them stay steady. This means that the hyper-calm and pain-killing properties of the “runner’s high” can be partially induced and undoubtedly prolonged via the use of CBD.
Lately, lots of runners have been talking about how CBD has been increasing their stamina. We wondered why that was, so we started to look into it.
Let’s just say there are about a billion reasons as to why CBD could be increasing runner’s stamina. We’ll touch on a few, but the endocannabinoid system is so complex that there are hundreds (literally) of factors that could all be partially responsible for the overall increase in stamina for runner’s (including the runner’s high above.)
- CBD interacts with the TRPV-1 (transient receptor potential cation channel subfamily V) receptors in the body – which regulates body temperature, inflammation, and pain.
- CBD activates the 5-HT1A (hydroxytryptamine) serotonin receptor in the brain. This is why CBD has a wealth of studies as a successful anti-anxiety supplement, but the 5-HT1A receptor also plays a role in tons of physiological processes in the body including anxiety, addiction, pain perception, and nausea.
- CBD also inhibits GPR55 (the “orphan receptor”) which is an interesting receptor. It plays a role in bone reabsorption, and plays a role in osteoporosis as well as, according to some studies, cancer.
Honestly, the endocannabinoid system is super-complex. Scientists are starting to learn how important it’s role is in our body’s response to pain, anxiety, depression, calmness, nausea, inflammation, body temperature, cancer, and tons of other physiological functions.
The exact reason as to why runners are touting its stamina boosting abilities is probably down to a wide combination of factors. This incredible stamina boosting ability is probably why companies like BotaHemp are starting to wholesale their CBD products, the demand right now is incredible.
CBD and Pre/Post Workout
We’ve talked about CBDs effect on “runner’s high” and stamina, but there is still one important point left to talk about, CBD’s overall effect on pre and post workout. After all, any good runner knows that the practice is more important than the race and anything that affects your overall run is excellent, but something that impacts your pre and post workout is just as important. Whether running is your entire workout or you’re also supplementing with weight-training, CBD seems to play an important role in pre and post workout for athletes.
- CBD regulates your adrenal glands and helps reduce cortisol levels in your body. Cortisol plays a huge role in stress and inhibiting muscle growth.
- Like we talked about earlier with stamina, CBD boosts serotonin levels, which can help you retain a positive mood and retain energy post exercise.
- CBD can help regulate free-radicals, reducing some of the stress created by exercise.
CBD’s Role in Runners
After pouring through the science, we’re starting to understand why CBD is starting to play a critical role in running culture. It helps regulate stress, reduce pain, and improve calmness. More importantly, it plays a vital role in inducing runner’s high and boosting your pre and post workout routines. If it were up to us, we’d advise every runner to buy CBD oil.
Source: The Weed Blog
View Original Post