Elizabeth Westbrook offers clients a unique blend of regulatory counsel and legislative advocacy.
She is able to provide an informed perspective on government and engage effectively with lawmaking and rulemaking to give clients a voice in those processes. She has the legal education to analyze prospective laws and regulations for potential client impact, and she has the political experience and network to give clients a seat at the lawmaking and rulemaking table.
Liz has spent over a decade in D.C. and in politics with experience on the campaign side, on Capitol Hill, and in various federal agencies, including the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT, Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute and Veterans Health Administration. She also spent a year with Deloitte Federal Consulting’s think tank, GovLab, where her work focused on the complicated intersection of rapidly advancing technologies and a slow-moving regulatory process. This reshaped her thinking with an eye toward innovation, IT – in particular, telehealth – and the opportunities inherent in disruptive technology.
Liz works to build personal relationships with clients, based on mutual trust and her devotion to understanding her clients’ businesses. This allows Liz to identify legislation and regulations that may impact clients even tangentially. When impactful legislation is identified, Liz uses her network to help her clients’ concerns or needs be heard by lawmakers.
Rather than playing defense, Liz also uses her understanding of clients’ needs to identify opportunities for clients to proactively engage lawmakers and other stakeholders, such as work groups, hearings and coalitions. By actively maintaining and cultivating her network and through involvement and leadership in organizations like Women in Government Relations (WGR), Liz keeps her finger on the pulse of the issues she covers, and her diverse background lets her be creative when suggesting solutions to clients.
- Obtains outreach from House Members and Senators to the FDA, CMS, and other Agencies, including organizing joint communications between multiple Congressional offices
- Represents a well-known drug client during several high-profile Congressional investigations and inquiries
- Represents healthcare clients including payors, providers and drug companies, giving her comprehensive insight into the vast mechanisms of the American health system
- Had specific telehealth language included in Senate Finance Committee’s high profile Chronic Conditions bill
- In only her second year as a member of WGR – the premier association for women working in government – Liz was selected to serve as Vice Chair of the Congressional Outreach Committee, acting as a liaison between WGR and members of Congress
- In representing FDA practice clients on the Hill, Liz became known as a subject matter expert and advocate for cannabis issues, and as a result has been invited to speak on these issues and their future in the federal government at numerous conferences and trade association meetings